During the early 1900’s, James Potter Meighan opened a funeral home in a small shop-front building in Darby Street, Newcastle under the name of James Potter Meighan Funeral Directors.
The business quickly outgrew its premises in Darby Street Newcastle and moved a short distance around the corner into King St, Newcastle.
James Potter Meighan Funeral Directors was a family-run business. After serving in the airforce throughout the second world war, James’ son Frank returned to take over the family business from his father. This subsequently saw James Potter Meighan Funeral Directors become Frank T. Meighan Funeral Directors, trading as Meighans Funerals.
Trevor Lochrin managed the company during the 1950’s and remained with the company up until his retirement in 1989.
During the 1970’s the business outgrew its premises in King St, Newcastle and moved out of the city centre into the suburb of Broadmeadow. A new office was also opened in the Maitland area.
Since its humble beginnings in Darby Street Newcastle, Meighans Funerals has seen many changes and withstood the international corporate takeovers of the 1990’s which saw funeral homes in the Newcastle and the Hunter Valley fall into the hands of foreign ownership.
Meighans Funerals remains a locally-owned family company servicing all areas of Newcastle and the Hunter Valley.